The Train Service job is an entry level transportation position of Transtar, Inc., and a core component for our workforce as vital movers and transloaders of bulk commodities in the country as a wholly-owned subsidiary U. S. Steel. As part of the transportation department, you will perform duties that include the operation of locomotives moving raw materials, finished products.
* Communicate via radio transmitter with crew members and workers in the Yard Office regarding rail transportation work to be performed.
* Observe hand and radio signals in the yard in accordance with railroad rules and regulations.
* Operate track switches as needed.
* Perform procedures required to couple/uncouple rail cars.
* Push/pull drawhead into place to align for railcar coupling.
* Apply hand brakes on rail cars not in active use.
* Maintain cleanliness of locomotive cab.
* Work outdoors in all weather conditions, and walk extended distances over uneven terrain.
* A minimum of one year outdoor work experience is required.
* High School Diploma or equivalent (GED) is required.
* Valid driver's license is required.
* Full time position, working any shift, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week including holidays.
* Adherence to safety procedures/guidelines at all times. Safety is our core value which requires you to wear safety protection such as hard hats, safety glasses, hearing protection, protective clothing, and boots with metatarsal protection.
* The position requires punctuality, consistent attendance, self direction and work collaboratively in a team environment for the success of the operations.
* Must pass assessment test(s)
Transtar, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status or disability status.
Associated topics: climate, environment, environmental, gauge, healthy, inspector, risk, safe, usda, waste